[BCNnet] LEGISLATION TO PROTECT WETLANDS

ryanwc ryanwc@msn.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:42:23 -0500

Last year, we had a lot of kingfishers on the stretch of the North Branch
above my canoe launch.  I think there were 5 pairs between us and River
Park, about a 2.5 mile stretch.

This year, I've seen virtually no kingfishers, but we've had 6-8
Black-crowned Night Herons in the same stretch of river.

I'm wondering whether there's a relationship between these two facts.  I
looked in the Birder's Handbook, which tells me that B-C Night Herons will
eat the young of other herons on occasion.

Would the kingfishers avoid nesting near the feeding grounds of Black
Crowns?

Also, with so many herons in this short stretch of river, is it likely that
there's a small rookery on the river somewhere, or are they just flying in
from elsewhere?

Ryan Chew
Chicago River Canoe & Kayak