[BCNnet] Springbrook Prairie Story

Dennis Nyberg csnp@uic.edu
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:57:13 -0600

--=====================_86847674==_.ALT

It is well that a trail has NOT been built thru prime grassland bird
habitat. Among bird species, grassland birds are meritorious of the highest
level of protection in Illinois.
I am replying because I think the statement, "You can't protect what you
don't know is there." deserves to be explored.
We know from a variety of studies and direct observations that trails
replace plants with an impervious surface. This has been written about and
observed a sufficient number of times that by induction environmentalists
accept that a trail or a road is going to have a negative effect on a lot
more species than positive effects. We do not need to restudy this issue at
every single site (though requesting such is the strategy of "wise use" and
some local groups that seek to reduce management).  This I feel comfortable
that asserting that preventing human economic activity from an area
(including trail and shelter construction) will indeed protect the plants
and animals living on the land without me knowing specifically what I am
protecting.
Knowing what is being protected is nice, but can be reliably inferred from
a quick look at the habitat by an even a weak naturalist. Specifically, if
one has an Illinois field without any significant woody vegetation (this is
where experience helps) that is greater than 25 acres one assumes that
grassland birds nest at the site (unless a specific inventory indicates
contrary information). Induction of experience leads to such a statement.
I would also note that in the case described no information on what was
living in where the rerouted trail was put is presented. Without such
information, I am left to wonder if, perhaps, the last nesting place of
snapping turtles in Dupage county is being destroyed. Given only the option
is that the trail WILL be built, it is appropriate to "know what is there"
before deciding where to place the trail. Unfortunately, there are a lot of
kinds of species living a lot of different life styles. Basing our decision
on a single group is perhaps better than ignoring all groups, but I would
need to know lots about the place that ended up taking the hit of the trail
before I could congratulate the FPDDC for moving the trail.
Dennis Nyberg