[BCNnet] No Sightings Great Blue Rookery Question

Woeltje, Chris CWoeltje@ballseed.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:11:07 -0500

In my opinion, any rookery is important no matter how many nests it contains.  Whether it is one or one hundred.

-----Original Message-----
From: warren_jones@ccmail.wiu.edu [mailto:warren_jones@ccmail.wiu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 5:38 AM
To: bcnnet@ece.iit.edu
Subject: [BCNnet] No Sightings Great Blue Rookery Question

Freeman United Coal Company is planning an expansion of operations.  Within the
area of expansion, a GREAT BLUE HERON rookery of 20 to 30 nests has been
reported.  A group of concerned locals petitioned the DNR for a hearing and has
gotten one scheduled.  The rookery is located in extreme southern McDonough
County.  It is about forty miles east of the Mississippi River and forty miles
west of the Illinois River.

I would appreciate any information on how rare such a rookery is and how
important it might be.  I am not originally from this area and have only birded
here for a few months.  Sources of documentation would be of interest.  I would
also appreciate any information on these types of hearings from someone who has
participated.

Thank you for your time.

Warren Jones
Macomb, Illinois
McDonough County (west of Peoria and a bit south)
w-jones@wiu.edu