[BCNnet] Fwd: OPPORTUNITY

Chicago Ornithological Society cos@chicagobirder.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:29:01 -0500

--=====================_21164133==_.ALT

This was received by COS.  Thought folks on this list might be interested.

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:54:12 -0500
From: awilliam@facstaff.wisc.edu
Subject: OPPORTUNITY

Hello again,

Last November, I circulated the following announcement:

HERE IS A NEW PRAIRIE RESEARCH FUNDING OPPORTUNITY

         Prairie Biotic Research, Inc. is a new nonprofit organization. Our
purpose is to foster basic biotic research in prairies.  One way we do this
is through our small grants program.  We are especially interested in
supporting independent researchers -- individuals lacking institutional
support -- but anyone may apply.  Perhaps you have a project underway, an
idea you'd like to explore next field season, or need support for preparing
publications you're now drafting.  Perhaps your study will be in native
prairie, in reconstructed prairie, or both.  Perhaps you already have
partial funding, perhaps not.  Perhaps you're a student, a non-governmental
organization, an amateur, or a professional.  Our expectation is that you
will publish your findings and/or present them to people who share our
interest at a prairie conference or similar forum.  We'll consider prairie
projects from anywhere in the USA, dealing with any taxa.

         We have committed $2000.00 to grants for 2002, for two grants of
$1000.00.  If you would like an application form, please contact us at
prairiebioticresearch@hotmail.com or at PO Box 5424, Madison, WI
53705.  Our deadline for receipt of applications is January 15, 2002.

         If this opportunity interests you, if you like the idea of a new
avenue of research funding, if you enjoy flexing your curiosity and
fostering curiosity in others, we hope you will consider making a donation
toward this work.  Send us a check at the above address and we'll use your
entire tax-deductible donation to supplement the $2000.00 we have already
committed to this purpose.

         Please help us foster curiosity by passing this announcement on to
others who share our interest in prairies.

THANK YOU

Michael P. Anderson, Rebecca A. Christoffel, Andrew H. Williams and Daniel
K. Young
of
Prairie Biotic Research, Inc.

         In 2002, Prairie Biotic Research, Inc. awarded grants to John
Tooker of University of Illinois for his proposal, "Recolonization of
prairies by insects after controlled burns," and to Kari Jacobson of
University of Minnesota for her proposal,"Reducing smooth brome (Bromus
inermis Leyss.) by interseeding competitive native cool-season grasses and
early-season forbs in a smooth brome field in Crow-Hassan Park Reserve,
Minnesota."

         PBR will again offer grants up to $1000 in 2003.  We turn to you
for support.  Please help us to help make prairie biotic research possible.
We had 31 proposals from 15 states in 2002, and could fund only two of
these.  We'll soon be circulating another announcement like the above to
solicit proposals for 2003, and we would like to include your organization
as a sponsor of our 2003 Small Grants Program.  Categories of sponsorship
are <$100,  $100 - 500,  $501 - 1000, and >$1000.  Why not avail yourself
of this opportunity to support this sort of research while advertising your
organization widely across the prairie community?  For example, every
registrant at the upcoming North American Prairie Conference next June will
receive the 2003 grant announcement in their registration packet.

         Please contact me soon if you are interested, as the 2003 grant
announcement for distribution at the North American Prairie Conference will
soon need to go to the printer.  Look for our display booth at the
conference and we'll see you there!

                                                 Thank you,

                                                 Andrew H. Williams, President
                                                 Prairie Biotic Research,
Inc.

--
Chicago Ornithological Society
28 E. Jackson Building, 10th Floor - C980

This was received by COS.&nbsp; Thought folks on this list might be
interested.<br><br>