[BCNnet] (no subject)

Donald R Dann donniebird@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 03:10:54 -0800 (PST)

Here's what happened on last night's vote on drilling in ANWR.
But we can't relax our opposition.  The issue is sure to arise again in
January after the recess.  It's vital to keep Senator Fitzgerald
continually aware that this is bad energy policy yielding and will
yield serious environmental damage.

Donald R. Dann
Highland Park/Lake County

 http://www.enn.com/direct/display-release.asp?id=5723

Senate Does Right Rejecting Arctic Refuge Amendment
>From REP America
Monday, December 03, 2001
SEATTLE — The Senate did right Monday in rejecting an amendment to
authorize
oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, said REP America,
the
national grassroots organization of Republicans for environmental
protection.

The Senate voted 94-1 on Monday against a cloture motion that would
have
permitted consideration of an amendment attaching House-passed energy
legislation to an unrelated railroad retirement bill. Even the
amendment’s
proponent, Senator Frank Murkowski, ended up voting against it.

"We’re gratified that the Senate has overwhelmingly rejected a gimmicky

maneuver and blocked the amendment, which would have done little to
improve
our energy security and done much to put one of America’s last great
wild
places at risk," REP America spokesman Jim DiPeso said. "America needs
responsible energy policy that will strengthen our security, improve
the
economy, and protect America’s natural heritage. We need to step up
energy
efficiency and diversify our energy portfolio with clean resources that
Am
erican companies and farmers can produce here at home. It’s time for
Congress to put an end to the procedural games and face up to the
energy
issue responsibly and fairly," DiPeso said.

For more information, contact:
Jim DiPeso
Communications Director
REP America